Monday, May 4, 2009

sew crazy about 'Night of Spectacles'

Last Thursday night I modeled for 'Night of Spectacles', a fashion competition/auction held for fashion design students across Georgia, in downtown Atlanta at Club Opera. The event was to design a garment incorporating recycled eye-glasses, and then have the garment auctioned off, and the winner of the competition would win a scholarship. All of Atlanta's social elite were there, along with designers from Brenau University, Georgia Southern, & SCAD, fashion icon Michael Knight, and high fashionistas from Saks Fifth and Valentino.

My fashion designer/classmate Jerome Bacon created a BEAUTIFUL white mini cocktail dress using broken yellow frames as an embellishment design on the bodice, and then the actual eye-glasses as decoration on the hem. So chic & classy, and it fit me like a glove! And the other designs were pretty remarkable as well! 

The entire event was spec-tacular! While the judges deliberated, Jerome & I networked the crowd like bosses. We had a million pictures taken, along with an interview with 411 Radio/News. And the free dessert bar was oh so yummy!

But a good night is never honestly GOOD without some drama. 
Here's the scoop: Jerome and I were to give these other 2 designers a ride to the event. However, they had us wait on them for over an hour because they were so unorganized and the design wasn't even completed.. so we decided to just leave them, for we couldn't hit Atlanta traffic and thus hurt Jerome's success at the show. I mean, can you blame us? Well get this: four hours into the event, 5 minutes before the judges were going to announce the scholarship winner, the girls show up, and give this sad story on how their "car broke down but they were oh so determined on making it to the event and are such resilient, hard-working designers." ha ha, please. Well, the judges fell for their story and ended up giving the scholarship to them. I wish someone could have captured all of our faces when that was announced, for we all turned to each other, with big fake smiles and clapping "what the hell..." We were furious!! I mean, I could have died. 
 
But the good news: Jerome's dress sold for $135, and he got hella good reviews & connections made! 


















UPDATE : the judges finally realized the un-fairness and reconsidered. 
Winner will be announced Monday! I'll let you know. Fingers crossed for Jerome!!

I must say, I'm most definitely doing this myself next year!!

1 comment:

Andrew Z said...

Thanks for stealing my pics!! Haha